Name: Angelo Bassi
Birth date: 27 May 1973.
Address: Department of Physics, University of Trieste, Strada Costiera 11, 34151 Miramare-Trieste (Italy).
Phone: + 39 040 2240 315
Fax: + 39 040 224 601
2006-present: Researcher at the Department of Physics, University of Trieste.
2004-2006: Marie-Curie Fellow at the Mathematics Institute of the L.M.U. (Munich, Germany)
2001-2004: Postdoctoral Fellow at the Abdus Salam ICTP, Trieste.
1999-2001: Ph.D. in Physics, University of Trieste.
1998: Master degree in Physics, University of Trieste (110/110 cum laude).
Foundations of quantum mechanics; models of spontaneous wave function collapse; stochastic differential equations in Hilbert spaces.
Author of 38 publications on international journals, proceedings excluded.
Among them: 1 Science, 3 PRL, 3 EPL, 7 PRA and 1 Phys. Rept.
H-factor: 11 (ISI Web of Knowledge)
Sum of citations: 402 (ISI Web of Knowledge)
I am referee for the APS and IOP journals, and for the American NSF.
- Academic years 2003/2004, 2006/2007 and 2008/2009: "Stochastic Processes and Stochastic Differential Equations" for Ph.D. students at the Department of Theoretical Physics, University of Trieste.
- Academic years 2007/08 - 2010/11: "General Relativity" for graduate students at the Department of Physics, University of Trieste.
- Academic year 2011/12: "New Frontiers in Quantum Mechanics" for graduate students at the Department of Physics, University of Trieste.
- Academic year 2012/13: "Advanced Quantum Mechanics" for graduate students at the Department of Physics, University of Trieste.
Organization of conferences
- Conference with proceedings: Are there Quantum Jumps? On the Present Status of Quantum Mechanics, ICTP–Trieste (Italy), 5 September 2005 and Mali Losinj (Croatia): 7-9 September 2005.
- School and conference: New Trends in Quantum Dynamics and Quantum Entanglement, ICTP–Trieste (Italy), 18-25 February 2011.
- Conference with mini-proceedings: Quantum Malta 2012. Fundamental Problems in Quantum Physics, Malta, 24-27 April 2012.
- Conference with mini-proceedings: Open Problems in Quantum Mechanics, Frascati, 20-22 June 2012
Supervisor of 10 undergraduate students, 3 graduate students and 2 Ph.D. students. I have 3 PostDoctoral researchers.
Chair of the COST Action Fundamental Problems in Quantum Physics, the first and biggest network in the world, about quantum mechanics and is foundations. The Action involves 50 units from 22 European countries (plus India), including mathematical, theoretical and experimental physicists, and quantum chemists.
Principal Investigator of 2 European grants: MarieCurie Intra-European Fellowship MEIF-CT-2003-500543, and MarieCurie European Reintegration Grant MERG-CT-2006-044941.
Coordinator of 2, and member of other 4, Italian research projects, among which: Prin-99, Prin-02, Prin-05, Prin-08 and Firb-01, funded by the Italian government. Member of 1 German DFG grant (P.I.: D. Duerr), 1 Indian project (P.I.: T. Singh).
Coordinator of the Trieste Unit of the INFN (National Institute for Nuclear Physics) “Iniziativa Speifica” GE41.
Coordinator of the Master Degree in Theoretical Physics at the University of Trieste.
Guest Editor of a Special Issue: The Quantum Universe, Journ. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 40, n. 12 (2007). Contributors include: S.L. Adler, B. d’Espagnat, F. De Martini, L. Diosi, D. Duerr, S. Goldstein, J. Froehlich, G.C. Ghirardi, M. Rasetti, J. Hartle, L. Hardy, A.J. Leggett, T. Regge, R.D. Sorkin, A.M. Steane.
Seminars at: Institute for Advanced Study (Princeton, USA), MIT (Cambridge, USA), Harvard (Cambridge, USA), S. Weinberg's Theory Group (Austin, USA), Rutgers University (New Brunswick, USA), Perimeter Institute (Waterloo, Canada), L.M.U. (Munich, Germany), UNAM (Mexico City, Mexico), Sharif University (Tehran, Iran), as well as most relevant research institutes in Italy.
Schools and Conferences
- Workshop: Foundations of Quantum and Statistical Mechanics, Bertinoro, 13 and 14 September 2001. Talk: Generalizing the von Neumann ideal measurement scheme.
- School: School on the Foundation of Physical Sciences, Trieste 7-11 October 2002.
First lesson: A generalization of the von Neumann Scheme for the quantum measurement problem. Second lesson: Stochastic equations in Hilbert spaces and applications to dynamical reduction models.
- Workshop: Quantum Information and Quantum Computation, Trieste 14-25 October 2002. Talk: The EPR Incompleteness Argument.
- School: Problemi attuali in Fisica Teorica, Vietri sul Mare, 11-16 April 2003. Lesson: Stochastic differential equations in Hilbert space.
- Conference: Quantum Theory without Observers II, Bielefeld (Germany) 2-6 February 2004. Talk: A model of wave function Collapse.
- Conference: Actual Problems in Theoretical Physics, Vietri sul Mare (Italy), 2-7 April 2004. Talk: Stochastic differential equations and dynamical reduction models.
- School: 2nd School on the Foundation of Physical Sciences, Urbino 5-8 July 2004. First lesson: The measurement problem in Quantum Mechanics. Second lesson: Dynamical Reduction Models.
- Workshop: What is Quantum in Quantum Computing?, Konstanz (Germany) 19-20 May 2005. Talk: Linearity and non linearity in Quantum Mechanics.
- Conference: Third International Workshop DICE2006, Castello di Piombino (Tuscany), 11-15 September 2006 . Talk: Dynamical Reduction Models: present status and future perspectives.
- Conference: Mathematical Physics, Statistical Mechanics and Foundations of Quantum Mechanics, Rutgers University (USA), 7-9 October 2007. Talk: Existence, uniqueness, and long time asymptotics of a CSL equation.
- Conference: QTRF5 - Quantum Theory: Reconsideration of Foundations 5, Vaxjo University (Sweden), 14-18 June 2009. Talk: Spontaneous collapse models and the limits of Quantum Mechanics.
- Workshop: Matter, reality, quantum physics and transcendental philosophy, Rome 21 January 2010. Talk: Quantum mechanics and the representation of matter.
- ECT* Workshop: Decoherence in quantum dynamical systems, Trento (Italy), 26-30 April 2010. Talk: Non-Markovian quantum dynamics: a stochastic Schrdinger equation approach.
- Workshop: The Forgotten Present, Pullach (Germany), 29 April 2 May 2010. Talk: The problem of instantaneous quantum collapses in a relativistic framework.
- Conference and Exhibition: The european Future Emergent Technologies, Budapest (Hungary), 4-6 May 2011. Talk: Spontaneous collapse models in the light of modern
- Workshop: 8th Central European Quantum Information Processing Workshop, Znojmo (Czech Republic) 2-5 June 2011. Talk: Is quantum theory exact? Collapse models
and the possibility of spontaneous quantum jumps.
- Conference: Physics, Mathematics and Philosophy of Nature, Munich (Germany),
28-30 June, 2011. Talk: Towards an Exact Quantum Mechanics: Detlef Du¨rr and
- ECT* Workshop: Speakable in quantum mechanics: atomic, nuclear and subnuclear
physics tests, Trento (Italy), 29 August - 2 September 2011. Talk: Is quantum theory exact? Collapse Models and the possibility of a break down of quantum mechanics towards the macroscopic scale.